Tuesday 5 February 2013

What's the Bane of Your Costuming Existence?

I don't know about you, but mine is polyester thread! Sure, it stretches, which makes it great for things like swimsuits and exercise garments. The only problem with it is this:

It's stronger than the authentic fabrics we love to use in costuming! That means if you're experiencing problems with a seam being too tight, the thread won't break. The fabric will tear! Naturally, you don't want that to happen.

Unfortunately, finding 100% cotton, linen and silk threads can be difficult. They also cost more than 100% polyester or cotton-wrapped poly threads. However, it's worth paying more if your costume lasts longer, especially if you're planning to get several years of service from it.

If you're looking for 100% cotton thread, some manufacturers include

  • Coats of Coats & Clark fame (who manufacture the aforementioned cotton-coated poly thread, which is great for many applications but not 100% natural fiber sewing)
  • Gütermann, who also have a line of other natural and artificial threads
  • Mettler also produces cotton threads along with their polyester Metrosene thread
Some of these also manufacture 100% silk thread. 
If you're looking for a good source of linen thread, try Lacis. They also carry silk and cotton threads, plus a goodly number of sewing and needlework accessories, many of which will be appropriate for your reenacting activities. 

So, what's your pet costuming peeve? Please feel free to share it here! I'd love to hear from you!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Marion, I've not been sewing for quite some time. In fact I would love to quilt but lack of time does get in the way! This is good information. Thank you for taking your precious time to share!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susan. Thank you so much! I appreciate your comment. Time is precious, so much so that I haven't had much of it to blog lately! Your comment has inspired a thought for a new blog. I think I'll call it "Time to Sew" or something like that! You've inspired me, and I hope you'll find more time to quilt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh joy Marion! I'm thrilled that I inspired you and look you turned around and wrote another post that is so interesting and helpful to me! Thank you, thank you so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so welcome! Stay tuned for a new post tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete